Digital Scholarship Network (DSN)
The RLUK Digital Scholarship Network (DSN) is a professional peer network for RLUK members involved in the development and provision of Digital Scholarship services within member libraries. It will act as a forum for discussion, harness RLUK members’ collective experience and expertise, and will be responsible for the development of programmes of work in direct support of RLUK’s strategy Reshaping Scholarship, 2018-2021.
Terms of Reference
National Library of Scotland
- To lead and own a programme of work (contained within an action plan).
- To organise two or three events per year, with the assistance of the RLUK Executive.
- To liaise with the RLUK Board regarding the current and future development of the DSN through active liaison with the Board Champion.
- Term of Service = 2 years. Replacements by nomination and election.
The DSN is open to members of an RLUK library who are involved in the development and delivery of Digital Scholarship services. Although the network can include individuals at a variety of career stages (including practitioners), preference should be given to those colleagues with a strategic overview of digital scholarship activities within their organisations. Members will be nominated (by name rather than by job title) by the Director of their respective institution with a limit of two DSN members per institution.
- The intellectual input of the DSN is the responsibility of its members, led by two convenors. In the DSN’s development phase, these convenors will be nominated by the DSN’s Board Champions. The RLUK Executive will provide logistical and administrative support to the establishment, development, and delivery of the DSN and its associated activities.
- Convenors will serve a term of two years, with replacements sought through nomination and election after this point.
- A report, summarising the activities of the DSN, will be presented at RLUK board meetings to provide visibility and accountability.
- Up to two members of the RLUK Executive will be present to take notes at DSN meetings and assist in the compilation of the report to the Board.
- The ADN and SCLN will be represented within the DSN through the nomination of a named representative for each. These will report back to their respective networks on the work of the DSN and vice versa.
- The DSN will have a mixed physical-digital presence, through meetings, events, and a jiscmail community.
- Although meeting as a whole, it may be appropriate that the DSN creates a number of task and finish groups to undertake specific pieces of work under an overarching network action plan (to be created in 2019).
Travel and expenses of group members will be borne by their institution. Expenses of invited speakers will be covered by RLUK subject to prior agreement from the RLUK Treasurer.
The network has an allocated yearly budget at its disposal to cover the cost of events e.g. venue hire, catering etc.